Competition open to entrepreneurs, startups and small businesses in Lee and surrounding counties
The competition is a regional collaboration with the city, county, the Eastern Kentucky Concentrated Employment Program, Inc. (EKCEP), Shaping Our Appalachian Region, Inc. (SOAR), Kentucky Highlands investment Cooperation (KHIC), Southeast Kentucky Economic Development Corporation (SKED), Morehead State University’s Small Business Development Center, and Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative, Easter.
The competition is open to entrepreneurs, startups or existing small businesses in Lee County or a contiguous county. The winner will be able to occupy a building in Beattyville for $100 a month for the first year. Additionally, the winner will receive an incentive utilities package from the City of Beattyville for the first year, specialized pricing from area web development companies (for promotion and marketing), accelerated business coaching and training, special prizes including a cash award, access to GIG internet from PRTC, and have access to capital from SKED.
The building is located along the Kentucky River in the downtown district next door to a newly constructed RV park. The building is move-in ready with several large open spaces, access to ample parking, a full-size kitchen with room for seating, and then several small office spaces.
Beattyville is a vibrant community located near the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park. It has become a destination for adventure tourism with close access to world-class hiking, biking, rock climbing, and is the birthplace of the Kentucky River.
To assist competitors and encourage solid business ideas to locate in the space, a series of open houses for the space along with specialized workshops including individual consultations with business development specialists will be held prior to the November 30 deadline:
- October 30, 2018 | Community tour and walkthrough of the building – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. View the space and imagine how your business could operate – Contact Teresa Mays
- October 30, 2018 | Be Boss Online Workshop – Booneville, KY – Owsley County Action Team – 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Program will cover all aspects of digital marketing. Register: https://conta.cc/2P8ydz4
- November 7, 2018 | One-on-one consultation at Beattyville City Hall – 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Visit with business assistance resources from KHIC/EKCEP/SKED/SBDC and get application assistance.
- November 13, 2018 | Be Boss Online Workshop – Booneville, KY – Owsley County Action Team – 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Program will cover all aspects of digital marketing. Register: https://conta.cc/2P8ydz4
- November 20, 2018 | One-on-one consultation at Beattyville City Hall – 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Visit with business assistance resources form KHIC/EKCEP/SKED/SBDC and get application assistance.
- November 27, 2018 | Community Tour and walkthrough of the building – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- November 30, 2018 | Applications are due by email or in person at Beattyville City Hall.
- Week of December 3, 2018 | Judges will review all competition submissions, contact applicants, and declare a winner. Winner will be notified on December 10, 2018.
For competition entry, applicants should email or present a copy of the application in person to Teresa Mays at City Hall, Beattyville by 4 p.m., Friday, November 30, 2018. The application is available at http://www.beattyville.org/2018/10/bring-business-to-beattyville-competition/.
For more information, contact Teresa Mays, main street manager for the City of Beattyville, by phone at (606) 464-5007 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ian Mooers, economic and entrepreneur liaison at EKCEP, by phone at (606) 438-9927 or by email at email@example.com.